Friday, January 1, 2010

Ya Gotta have a Goal!

Happy New Year!

When I was a teacher, we had to make billions  (ok, not billions, but a lot) of lesson plans and we had to list the objective of each lesson.  One thing I learned by doing that, is that objectives need to be measurable.  Its not enough to give a general goal, say for example, "the students will enjoy the lesson" because that can't be measured.  So it goes for my goals.  I need measurable results. 

For my first goal, I'm going to say that in the next week, I'll run twice.  I have a treadmill in the basement so I can walk no matter what the weather is like.  From experience, I know that to train for a 5k, when beginning from scratch so to speak, is to walk 4 minutes and run 1 and repeat for a total of 30 minutes.  Last week, I climbed on my treadmill and was surprised to find out that I could run for 20 minutes without dying.  In fact, I probably could have kept going but I was bored and kept thinking about all the stuff I should have been doing (like laundry, snowblowing, Christmas shopping, that sort of thing) so I'm going to say I'll run for 20 minutes twice next week.  I don't want to over do it right away because that's how I usually roll.  Then I get burned out and quit.  In fact, I'm going to go to my handy dandy organizer -otherwise known as a calendar- and schedule it into my week right now.  (well, as soon as I'm done here)

For the next goal:  I asked for, and received the Quicken program for Christmas so I'm going to install that on my computer so I can start using it right away.  I also have to develop a budget.  Ooh, I just shuddered when I typed that.  I have never lived on a budget which is probably exactly why I need one.  In order to do that, I need to figure out where my money goes and I'm hoping the Quicken program can help there.  I'm lucky enough to be employed in a job that allows invites me to work a lot of overtime.  I've been taking advantage of that fact in order to be able to make a rather large payment on one of my bills.  Payday is next week.  (yay!) 

Here's what makes me happy today:
One of my favorite movies is Serendipity.  I heard this song yesterday on my ipod and it made me smile; its from the Serendipity soundtrack.   I hope it fits the new year for me, and for you if you happen to be reading this.  Its by Chantal Kreviazuk if you'd like to find it and listen to it:

This year, is gonna be incredible


This year, is gonna be the one

All the planets are lining up for me

This year, I'm gonna have fun



This year, I'll paint my masterpiece

This year, I'll be recognized

I can feel like I'll fall in love for real

This year, this year



January, I'll learn to fly

February, love's gonna find me

March, April, May, I'll get carried away

Oh, oh...



This year, I'll reach the pinnacle

This year, I'll get to the top

People will ask where she get that energy

This year, I'm never gonna stop



January, I'll learn to fly

February, love's gonna find me

March, April, May, I'll get carried away

Oh, oh, oh, oh...



This year, is gonna be incredible

This year, is gonna be the one

All the planets are lining up for me

This year, I'm gonna have fun



I'm gonna have fun

Just watch me now

This year

This year

This year

No comments:

Post a Comment