Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sunday Confessional

 I have always wanted to be in a musical.  I'm in my glory when The Sound of Music is on television, or when I'm watching Oklahoma for the 50 gazillionth time.  The Wicked soundtrack is on my ipod and when I'm alone in my car, I sing along as if my life depended on it.  And Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, well, its just amazingly dreamy. (As is Donny Osmond in his younger days, but thats another confessional...) *as previously mentioned, although technically a musical, The Wizard of Oz does not count here.*



Once, when I was pregnant, our local community theatre put on Oklahoma and I so deperately wanted to try out.  However, there is no room for a pregnant woman in a musical about wholesome American teenagers. I thought I'd be perfect as Ado Annie.  You know... "I'm Just a Girl Who Cain't Say No.  I'm in a turrible fix! I always say c'mon let's go..just when I oughta say Nix."  My condition obviously fit that song at the time. And of course, my name is Anne.  Oh well...

Anyone who knows me, and I mean really knows me, knows that I sing all the time so this is probably not a surprise.  I sing to the dog, to my kids, to the neighbor kids (who I'm sure are convinced I'm crazy) to my patients at work, to anything actually.  I'll hear a word or a phrase that triggers something and I just burst into song.  Ok, maybe that is a little crazy.  But its a pleasant kind of crazy. The only time anyone stops me is when I veer off into my opera voice. 

Maybe someday there'll be a place for me in a local production of oh, I don't know... Cats or something and I can try out for a part.  Just my luck, I'll try out and get a part that requires I strap on a fake pregnancy belly. 

Progress
Goal #1.  Let's not go there. 
Goal #2.  Tomorrow I'll be making a payment toward one of my big bills of about 40% of the balance. I had a really nice check after working a holiday, a Sunday and 3 extra days, in addition to my already scheduled days so I'm throwing that money at one of my bills.   If I can continue to pick up some extra days, I'll have that balance paid off fairly quickly.

Which brings me to another somewhat related goal.  My bathroom is 32 years old and it definitely needs an extreme makeover.  Not only does it look hideous (which I can live with) but its functionality is in question.  Sinks leak, the bathtub has a hole in it and the floor is starting to be an issue.  So I'm scouting out good deals on bathroom components so I can get this taken care of.  I don't need anything fancy, just functional.  One thing I insist on though; the old, wrought iron chain swag light MUST go! 

2 comments:

  1. Why did I not know that you have a blog?? Hmmm???
    You should try out for civic theater. I think you would be great in a musical!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't know because I didn't tell anyone! I'll try out for the theater if you'll do it with me. We can try out for The Sound of Music and both be nuns. It'll be totally out of our character!

    ReplyDelete