Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Scary Movies!

Its only a few days before Halloween and the weather here is already frightful.  Its not too cold, but it sure is windy - The Weather Channel was broadcasting from my local beach for the past two days because the waves were supposed to reach an all-time high of 20 feet.  I live 5 miles from the shore and never bothered to drive out and see.  Shameful.  Anyway, its good weather for watching movies, and since its so close to Halloween, I'll share some good scary movies.  I'm not a fan of the slasher-type horror movies so those won't be appearing on my list.  Ready? 

  •  Hocus Pocus  (1993) - this is one of my favorites!  Its not very scary but its cute and rather harmless.

  • Ghostbusters (1984) - Again, harmless fun.  My family quotes this movie often.  "Listen, do you smell something?"

  • The Shining (1980) - One of my favorites and the remake is just about as good, although no one could ever top Jack Nicholson's creepiness. 

  • Halloween (1978)  This was the original and the best.  It is bit slasherish (what?  that's not really a word?) but still a scary one. 

  • Wait Until Dark (1967) This is more suspenseful than scary and stars Audrey Hepburn.  I saw this for the first time when I was about 10 and in the company of about 150 high schoolers at marching band camp.  Its about a blind woman who gets tangled up with some creeps looking for stolen drugs. I'll never forget the simultaneous screaming of all of those high schoolers at a certain point in the movie.  ...don't want to give anything away now... 

  • Rosemary's Baby (1968) Another really suspenseful one - Mia Farrow is carrying a devil child.  Really!  Only she doesn't know it. 

  • Disney's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1958) This is the cartoon version and while its not totally scary, it certainly isn't Mickey.  And on a side note, I visited the home of Washington Irving a few years ago while on a trip to New York.  I'll have to post about that someday.


  •  The Exorcist (1973)  I still can't watch this without covering my eyes and getting totally creeped out. 

  • Poltergeist ( 1982)  A classic! 

  • Seven (1995)  This Brad Pitt film was creepy, and disturbing, and chilling.  It was awesome.  You have to hope that people like that don't really exist in the world.  I'm not referring to Brad Pitt you know.  Good heavens!  I wish more people in the world were like Brad Pitt!  And lived in my neighborhood.  Sigh. 

  • The Silence of the Lambs (1991)  Anthony Hopkins plays a really good psycho.  I can't even see the words 'fava beans' without thinking of him in this movie. I don't think I'll ever actually eat a fava bean. 

  • What Lies Beneath (2000)  This one had me literally gasping out loud.  I love this movie - and the house that the characters live in is absolutely beautiful.  Its the kind of movie where you yell at the screen, "Don't open the door!" or whatever.  I love those kinds of movies. 


  • The Gift (2000)  Cate Blanchett stars in this movie about a psychic woman and a missing local girl.  I don't think too many people saw this one but its worth a rent.  You can yell at the screen in this one too. 


 There.  That should get you started. 




No comments:

Post a Comment