Monday, October 25, 2010

More Bathroom Ideas

I'm thinking more seriously about remodeling my bathroom.  Its been drifting back and forth between the "want" vs. "need" list for oh, about 15 years now.  I think I've mentioned before how truly ugly my bathroom is.  Its original to the house which was built in 1977 so its a hot mess, with its yellow/brown/orange colors of wallpaper and the nasty wrought iron swag light fixture.  But it has been functional so no matter how many times I try to put it on the "need" list, it always keeps getting put back over to the "want" list. 

But now I find that with each passing day, it is not only inching its way on to the "need" list, but its quickly moving to the top of that last.  The little latch on the tub that makes it hold water (I'm sure this has a real name but I have no idea what that is) no longer works so you can't take a bath anymore.  One sink leaks so badly that I had to put a basin underneath, hidden by the cabinets, to catch the water.  Only half of the light fixture works anymore so anything done in the bathroom is done in dim light.  OK.  I've convinced myself. 

I've been buying scrip from the band over the past few months to help fund this makeover but I don't have nearly enough to cover even half the cost.  But anyway, I have enough to buy a new tub and tub surround.  I don't think you can install a one piece shower/tub thing in an existing home - too hard to get it in the doorway - and also a builder once told me that older homes aren't level and "square" enough to get a one piece to fit.  But my big dilemma is what to do with the big double sink vanity.  Do I replace it with exactly the same thing?  Do I go with two pedestal sinks with a cabinet between?  Do we really use two sinks?  I need a decorator.  I'm terrible about making decisions so what I really need is someone to come in and take right over.  Tell me what to do. 

In the meantime, I've been looking at pictures so I'm sharing.

This seems really busy to me.  And I definitely don't need a tv in the bathroom.  But I like the vanity.  I'm thinking we only need one sink, really.  That would free up some space for more storage.  Except I have this really big closet in there already and I really don't need more storage.  I'm trying to think in terms of what a future buyer might want so thats figuring into a lot of my decisions. 


This is so bright and sunny!  Maybe a little too bright and sunny... I need more counter space than this too.

This does not appeal to me at all.  I just don't like the bowl sitting on the counter look.

Here are two from Pottery Barn - two words that strike fear in my bank account.  But holy moly!  I love that store!



Basically the same cabinet,  only the top one has one sink, the bottom has two.  This piece alone would eat up the entire budget for the room.  So this, sadly, is a no. 


...and then I have to think about lighting.  According to people who know these types of things, your bathroom light shouldn't come from above you...that creates shadows and makes it hard to apply makeup.  Lighting sources should be on the sides of the mirror.  I get what they're saying, but it seems like the light should be over the mirror, above your head so you can see what you're doing.  But what do I know? 
          
Here are some lights I like, also from Pottery Barn.




 I really love the subway tile.  It is classic and never goes out of style.  Unfortunately, it would cost too much for my project too.  If I planned on living in this house for the next 20 years, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but thats not the case.


But look what I found!  This vanity is pretty similar to the one at Pottery Barn only its a fraction of the price. 

Well, similar if you use your imagination I guess.  

Now I'm sufficiently inspired.  I guess I'll go do a little home improvement store browsing today!



4 comments:

  1. I like the white vanity a lot!! Take some before and after pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Anne! If it’s been that long – 15 years – I think it shouts NEED, not just want to redecorate. I suggest you spend a little beyond your original budget. The bathroom is the part of the home that you use every single day, from waking up to getting ready for bed. You should ensure the durability of the materials you’re thinking of using for better longevity.

    Herb Koguchi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second the motion, Herb. The bathroom is as important as the other parts of the house. You use this place every single day, that is why it is essential to make sure that everything here is working and well-tended to. I think by now you already done with the redecoration and renovations. I would suggest that you maintain how it looks with regular cleaning and repair.

      Delete
  3. Budget-wise, you can make use of an old dresser and turn it into a vanity. Decorate it with an elegant vase, a mirror, and a Hampton Bay 3-Light Semi-Flush vanity wall fixture, which will only cost you between $40 to $55.

    William Gulliver

    ReplyDelete