Monday, January 17, 2011

Knitting Frenzy

 Winter is a really good time to curl up on the couch and knit.  So here's what I've been working on this weekend.


Its a simple 1 X 1 knit, purl ribbing using 2 skeins of Bernat Mosaic yarn.  The yarn on the right is called Psychedelic and its been really fun to use because the color is constantly changing.  The other is called Waterfall and it too changes color but the change is so subtle that its harder to detect.  I saw this combination on a new website my daughter found called Ravelry.  A community-based website, this has searchable patterns, some of which are free.  If they're not free, they give you a link to the original website so you can buy the pattern.  Being the frugalista I am, I tend not to buy patterns because there are so many wonderful free ones to use. 

Another nice feature of this website is that you can search for a pattern based on the yarn you own.  If, like me, you go to the store and buy yarn just because it looks pretty but then you get it home and have no idea what to do with it, this is a good resource to have.  As it happens, while at JoAnn's buying the yarn in the picture, I also picked up some sock yarn in a really pretty shade of purple.  This yarn will probably become mittens. 

Baking is another good thing to do in the Winter.  Friday night I added some ingredients to my bread recipe to make a rich egg dough for cinnamon rolls.  Now, no one in my house needs a cinnamon roll, but it sure was good warm from the oven with the cream cheese frosting melting down the sides!


It was worth every calorie!

No comments:

Post a Comment