Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Really?

All week long, we've had inspectors at the hospital where I work.  They're checking to make sure proper paperwork is in place and that we follow procedures for safety and that sort of thing.  Its kind of like having company over for dinner, so you know the entire place is spotless and we're all on our best behavior.  Man, is that hard!  We all live in fear that the interviewer will pull us aside and start asking questions.  I've worked in this hospital for 25 years and have managed to avoid this scenario.  Until today.  However, I was asked brief, meaningless questions before the inspector turned her attention to my co-workers.  Whew!

So the surveyor starts looking around the department, heads into our playroom and looks at the only electrical plug that does not have a plug protector in place.  The one thing we missed!  Of course! That kind of made me mad though, because in the general scheme of things, a missing plug protector doesn't mean our patients aren't well taken care of.  And I'm certainly not going to ignore a patient's needs while I go look for a plug protector.  I guess I'm not detail oriented.  And maybe I have a bad attitude.  Im just glad we don't have to do this again for another 2 years.  

Happy
About a month ago now, my daughter was very ill.  She had gone away to college with what we now know was a kidney infection. Unfortunately, we didn't know that until it was almost too late.  The poor thing went to class every day feeling just awful, and finally came home a week later.  By the time she got in to see the doctor, she was in kidney failure and almost at the point of vascular collapse.  I think if she had waited another day, she would have died. She spent several days in ICU, where I slept in a chair at her bedside, watching the constant display of her blood pressure and pulse.  To say that I prayed constantly would be an understatement. 

Thankfully, she recovered and quickly got back to school.  She had a really rough start and once back at college, was extremely homesick.  What's making me happy is that she's doing very well now.  She's healthy.  She has her sense of humor back.  And her beautiful face now has a smile.  Jeremiah 29:11 has always been a favorite of mine. Its a comfort to me in times of trouble, and an inspiration to me when I look at my kids.  Paraphrasing here, "For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord.  "Plans to give you hope, and a future."  I'm so thankful for the prayers of so many friends, and so thankful that my daughter is once again back to her normal, wonderful self.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment