Saturday, July 10, 2010

Saturday

I find myself with an unexpected, but very welcomed, day off today.  My employer let me know, as I was in the shower, that they were overscheduled and didn't need my services.  Darn it!  I could have really used more sleep.  But, since I was already showered, I headed to the farmer's market and bought some blueberries (which seem very early to me) and lettuce.  Two things I don't grow myself.  Blueberry crisp is cooling on the stovetop and I'm on the computer.  Ahhhh.   I also bought some perennials - cheap! - and will be planting those later today. 

My oldest daughter leaves for college in a little more than a month.  We need to begin shopping for dorm stuff... on sale of course.  I started making her a rug about a week ago and I'm trying to make it in her school's colors but its not quite there.  Oh well.  It'll do. 
The colors are supposed to be maroon and gold.  I guess if you squint just right, it could pass for maroon and gold.   Right?  Right? 



Here's a close up of the weave.  Some of these fabrics used to be my bed sheets.  Very green of me wouldn't you say?

Happy

One thing that makes me happy is checking out my garden and seeing what's growing.  I stopped up at my Big Garden yesterday and harvested lots of basil.
I made gobs of pesto:  pesto with pine nuts, pesto with walnuts, pesto with lemon basil, pesto with regular basil - (you should be saying this like Bubba from Forest Gump when talking about shrimp). 

But what made me REALLY happy was this:
Watermelon!  I actually took this picture about 5 days ago and yesterday, when I checked on them, they had doubled in size.  I literally cheered right there in the community garden.  Thankfully, no one else was there to give me odd looks.  Hopefully, they'll survive to "adulthood" so we can enjoy them.  Nothing is better than homegrown fruits and veggies!

And finally, my daughter posted this link on my facebook.  She thought I would like it and I think you will too.  Read the whole thing, its a little long but so funny!

No comments:

Post a Comment