Monday, February 8, 2010

Yada yada yada

So I think I'm officially done with the Eat from the Pantry Challenge.  I didn't do too badly, and actually have reached the point where I need stuff again.  And while its good to use up stuff we already own, it did lead to some strange meals.  Sunday, we ended up eating (at one meal) egg rolls, chili, and roasted Italian vegetables. And because we had no clean drinking glasses, we drank milk out of wine glasses.  My kids were amused.  We were also out of clean bowls so the chili was served in little ramekins.  These little guys are one of my favorite kitchen items and I find a million uses for them:  they're good for portion control when eating M&M's, ice cream, and cookie dough (not that I'd ever eat raw cookie dough, *cough, cough* ).  They're also just the right size for salsa.  I've used them to make individual apple crisps and brownies.  They're just generally handy to have around. 

I went grocery shopping tonight because the weather forecasters are predicting a bad storm tomorrow.  My plan was to spend about $200 for 2 weeks worth of food.  I took a little time yesterday and planned a menu for the week and knew what I needed to carry that out, which was very little actually.  I didn't have much time to plan my list, or to check to see if I had corresponding coupons. (And I am a little obsessive about my coupons!)
My beloved coupon organizer


So anyway, I stuck to my list for the most part, and was surprised to find that I had spent almost $250.  And then I felt guilty.  Why?  Because somewhere, on someone's blog, I read that their grocery budget was $400 a month.  So why should I feel guilty that I can't live up to their budget?  Good question. I have no idea how many people $400 is supposed to feed, nor the ages of the people it is supposed to feed.  And when I think about it,  $250 is just about what I've been spending on food every two weeks for the past 7 years.  So why am I surprised?  Who the heck  knows.  

Goals
I haven't commented on my progress lately so:
Goal #1:  Wait, what were my goals again?  Just kidding.  As far as running goes, I haven't done a bit of that.  I have been exercising, doing The Firm so I'm not a complete couch potato.  I do need to start running soon though if I'm going to run in May.  Gotta buy new shoes!

Goal #2:  I've paid $2000 to my first balance this month.  Which leaves very little left to pay and makes me feel a little better about things.  Still a ways to go, but.... Then its on to the next bill!  Thank God I have a job that allows me to work extra!!!

Happy
I'm a big SNL fan and a few weeks ago, Michael Buble was on.  This skit made me laugh out loud.  (You may have to get past Michelle Obama talking about Haiti, but its worth it.)  Ever since I was little, I've stayed up most Saturday nights just to watch the show.  Some seasons are definitely better than others, but I usually find something funny in each show.  I must say though, that there is still nothing funnier than the "We Need More Cowbell" skit!

No comments:

Post a Comment