Friday, February 26, 2010

Interesting

My Uncle Tom is one of the most interesting people I know.  He is a retired science teacher and a geologist.  When I was little, he gave me several interesting rocks and minerals from his collection, which I still own.  I would take such good care of these things; I would vacuum out their little boxes, and make new labels for them all the time.  I don't know if it was because of my Uncle, or just something in my genetic make-up, but I love science.  In fact, when I decided to go back to school to be a teacher, I majored in Group Science, with an emphasis in Biology.  So I'm a Science teacher. 

Anyway, Uncle Tom sends me the most interesting e-mails and links so I'm posting one here because I found it fascinating.  The video I'm linking to is about a 5 minute video and it shows some of the interesting things that go on underwater in the sea.  The more I study science, the more I'm convinced that life on Earth didn't just happen.  I'm not interested in starting a philosophical discussion about this, just expressing my opinion. 

One of the many science classes I took in college was cellular Biology.  We learned in depth about the functions of each cell in your body and how they all function together to keep you alive.  Amazing!  If it wasn't such dry material, I'd suggest taking this class, just to learn about the amazing things your body does 24 hours a day, without you even knowing it!

Another class I had to take was Botany.  We were trudging around in the arboretum in early January, studying leaf buds on trees, and bark patterns and such.  Of course, it was the coldest January on record that year, but it was another interesting class because even things in nature take care of themselves.  The leaf buds that were visible in January, were the beginnings of new leaves that were waiting to open when the weather warmed.  It was fascinating to me that trees were already preparing for Spring, way back in November!  How did these leaf buds not freeze?  How did the trees know to do this?  Amazing! Just more proof to me that God exists. 

Happy
A few things make me happy today:  we had our taxes done and while I knew I was going to have to pay, its not nearly as much as I had figured.  ( I never thought I'd use the words "happy" and "taxes" in the same sentence.)

I'm playing in my first concert this Sunday. I haven't done that in oh, I don't know how long.  If you need something to do Sunday, come see the West Michigan Concert Winds at 4 pm.  You won't be sorry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment